Shop Fly Masks »
Shop All Pest Control »
Flies can make your horse’s life miserable. They buzz, bite, and generally annoy all spring and summer long. Not only do flies drive your horse crazy but they can also be dangerous to their health. Flies stress horses, lessening their resistance to disease, and they can easily spread parasites and diseases from sick horses to healthy ones. It is very important that your horse, especially its face, is protected.
One of the easiest and most effective methods for providing protection to your horse’s face, eyes and ears from flies and other biting insects is a horse fly mask. The use of a fly mask can help provide a healthy and stress free environment in the stable and the pasture for your horses. Fly masks cover the most vulnerable parts of the horse, the eyes, jaw, and sometimes ears and muzzle, protecting it from nasty and painful bites.
Fly masks can be found in three styles. Each style has its own unique advantages. These styles are:
- Full-head – provides maximum protection from the horse’s nose up to its ears.
- Partial head – the standard mask which provides defense from insects, sunburn and dust.
- Partial head with no ear coverings – great for horses who do not like their ears touched or confined.
It is important to make sure you get the right size fly mask for your horse. The mask should fit snugly against the horse's head to keep flies out yet comfortable enough to prevent chafing of the skin. There is no one size fits all so be sure to take the time to properly measure your horse’s head and find the correct size. Properly fitted and maintained fly masks will:
- Protect your horse’s eyes, ears and skin from biting bugs
- Allow it to see clearly from all angles without any obstructions
- Protect its sensitive eyes and skin from the sun’s harmful UV rays
- Be comfortable enough that the horse can freely and easily graze
Another benefit of a fly mask is the protection it provides to your horse’s face from the sun’s harmful UV rays. Horses with pale coats or sensitive skin are especially susceptible to sun burn. Just as a hat protects your head from the sun, a fly mask covers those sensitive areas of a horse’s face most prone to getting sun burned.
Fly masks are quickly becoming a mainstay in stables across the country and the globe. This is due in no small part to them being so effective in shielding your horse's face than other types of pest repellants due to the extensive coverage and protection they provide.
|Help keep your horse fly-free with our great selection of fly masks!